Thursday, December 3, 2009

Homemade Bisquick

I don't require that anyone else be as much as a maniac as I am, and I am in love with all the recipes that were brought to our Thanksgiving. But I just did a quick search because I was curious about what exactly makes up Bisquick and here is what I found. I am going to take a break of making desserts for a while as soon as I finish eating that peach cobbler and the shortbread cookies, but I am going to make that Buttermilk Pie sometime for sure.

I found this recipe on FoodieMama

Homemade Bisquick Baking Mix

Ingredients for Homemade Bisquick:

  • 2 1/4 cups white flour 
  • 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (you can skip this if you don't use it normally. Double the amount of white flour instead)
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons powdered milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 3 tablespoons baking powder
  • 1 cup safflower oil or butter-flavored shortening

Instructions for Homemade Bisquick:

  1. In a large, flat bowl, blend first six ingredients.  
  2. Cut the shortening into the dry ingredients using a pastry blender. Continue to work the ingredients until the mixture has the consistency of corn meal.
  3. Store in an airtight glass or plastic container.

Notes for Homemade Bisquick:

  1. This needs to be kept cool and dry.
  2. At room temperature, use within one month.In the refrigerator, it will keep about two months. In the freezer, you could probably store it for three or four months.
  3. Use as Bisquick or other baking mix, cup for cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment