Saturday, November 7, 2009

Pumpkin Stew in a Pot



This recipe is from Organic Baby & Toddler Recipes. I made it for my 10 month old son. They said the recipe would make four servings for a 15-month old. I don't know who this 15-month old they are referring to is, but he must have quite an appetite. This made more than four adult servings. But I served it to my son last night, and it looked so good, and he enjoyed it so much that my husband and I had it for dinner as well. I added a little bit of salt and pepper to mine, but that is the only change. I should probably eat all the same foods as my son. Anyway this is a delicious recipe for the whole family.

1 pumpkin or squash about 6lbs. (I used two small kombucha, otherwise known as Japanese pumpkin. It has a green skin and is generally thicker than pumpkin.)
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 lb ground pork or beef (I used grass fed ground beef) You can also use cooked unsalted Lima or Great Northern Beans instead of meat.
1 large onion chopped
3 apples, cored and cut into large chunks
1/2 cup water or stock
1/3 cup raisins
1 tsp chopped fresh or 1/2 dried basil or thyme

Preheat the oven to 350ºF
Cut the top off the pumpkin or squash and discard. Cut the pumpkin or squash in half and scoop out the seeds and stringy pulp. (You can toast the seeds for a snack.) Place the pumpkin cut side down in a large, deep baking dish with 1/2" of water in the bottom. Cover with foil and bake in the oven until tender, about 2 hours.


Heat the oil in a pan and fy the meat or beans, onions and apple until tender, about 15 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, then simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.





Drain the water from the pumpkin. Use a spoon to scoop out the soft flesh, then discard the skin. Mix the flesh with the meat or bean mixture and return it to the baking dish. Cover with foil and return it to the oven until hot, about 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment