Thursday, November 12, 2009

Round Two - Day Six

Yesterday was a big productive day of cooking. I made bread dough (and baked a loaf), chicken stock, yogurt, apple pie and chili. I also soaked beans so that I could make bean soup today. Baby J has started a new habit of waking up around 5AM, so by the time I had gotten him back to sleep at 6:30AM I was starving and awake so I ate some breakfast and started the day.  I had the bread dough and the yogurt going before 8AM. I still have quite a bit of chicken stock in the freezer from the last batch, but the bag of bones and vegetable scraps I keep in the freezer was beginning to overflow, so I figured it was time to make some more.

It is great to have a day like this when you get so much done. It is like insurance for unexpected business that might come up in the future. I have to say that by 8PM when I was getting putting the pie crust over the top of the apple pie, standing between the slow cooker of chili and the preheated oven at 400ยบ in my tiny kitchen, hungry for dinner, it all seemed like a little too much. But today it all feels worth it. As for what I ate in between cooking...

Breakfast: Granola with milk. Coffee

Elevensies: (since breakfast was at 6am, I was starving by 11am.) Turnip and Lentil Pie and Beet Salad.

Lunch: Tabouleh: Bulgar Wheat, Tomatoes, Avocado, Cilantro, Red Onion, Chicken Stock - for moisture and flavor, and because we have so much of it.

Snack: Apple with Peanut Butter Ingredients: Dry Roasted Peanuts, Salt

Dinner: Family Favorite Chili. I had to make some changes in the recipe, since we don't have any canned tomatoes, and they tend to have additional ingredients, I chopped up 28oz of fresh tomatoes instead. In place of the 15 oz can of tomato sauce, I used an 8oz can of Tomato Paste Ingredients: Organic Tomato Paste, Citric Acid that was lying around, and added about 4 oz of chicken stock and 4 oz of water to make an improvised sauce. We also used up the last of the Chili Powder Ingredients: Chili Pepper, Cumin, Oregano, Salt, Silicon Dioxide, Garlic. That seems like it might be a tricky one to make.
We had this with a slice of bread with butter.

Dessert: One of the Skinny Cow Ice Cream sandwiches. I think there is one left now.

No comments:

Post a Comment