Monday, October 12, 2009

Tabouleh Salad

This very simple and tasty recipe is from the "Milagro Allegro Community Garden Cookbook", which is my community garden in the Highland Park neighborhood of Los Angeles. Garden founder, Nicole Gatto submitted this recipe.

1/2 cup bulgar wheat
3 medium sized tomatoes, chopped
1 cup parsley, chopped
1/4-1/2 cup onions, chopped
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. salt
1/4 - 1/3 cup olive oil

Cover the bulgar wheat with warm water in a bowl and let it soak for about 10 minutes until it is soft. Drain the water and press the wheat into a sieve until it is dry.

In a medium sized bowl, mix the wheat with the rest of the ingredients and serve.

Notes:
I found it a little too oily, even just using 1/4 cup olive oil, so I added an additional cup of wheat.
Also, I did not have any parsley, so I substituted cilantro, which might be a high crime, but I thought it turned out well.

No comments:

Post a Comment