Friday, October 16, 2009

Day Fourteen & Squash Blossoms

Breakfast: Polenta, fried with onions and an egg, overeasy.

Lunch: The last of the tabouleh and grapes.

Snacks: A handful of peanuts (Now they are gone), part of a piece of Irish Brown Bread. (I think it's gone bad.) A glass of Just Cranberry Juice Ingreidents: Filtered Water and Cranberry Juice Concentrate


Appetizer: I harvested the last of the bounty of the Summer planting from my community garden. I had one pumpkin, a couple of squash and a bunch of new squash blossoms because of the rain. I was sad to pull everything out, but it is time to move into fall. Also, I was excited to try cooking the squash blossoms, as I have never cooked flowers before. EM, who is my gardening partner came over after we spent a couple of therapeutic hours amending and tilling our soil (hacking at it with a hoe, and tossing dried blood and compost everywhere) for the next planting this weekend. We brought the blossoms home, cleaned them, stuffed them with the Queso Blanco cheese that I made a couple days ago, mixed with grated Goat's Milk Cheddar that I had lying around and chopped basil from my the plant on my porch, dredged them in egg and flour and fried them in oil. They were delicious. My brother MW said that he was going to brag about them to George at work who is always talking about the good food he is eating.

Dinner:
After the squash blossoms we had some Quinoa with onion, red pepper, tomato and chicken. Since that was not quite filling enough and we felt wasteful not putting the huge amount of oil used in frying the blossoms, DR fried up the leftover polenta, some onions and red peppers that were about to go bad. It made for a pretty tasty little meal. For dessert we finally finished the Chocolate Chip Cookies that have been plagueing me since the project began, thanks to EM & MW for their help.

No comments:

Post a Comment