Friday, October 16, 2009

Day Sixteen

We are still in San Francisco, and staying at my husband's brother's house. Shockingly, in this household of two working parents of two children ages 3 and 5, they aren't preparing all the food from scratch. Here is where the hospitality clause is invoked. That being said, today hasn't been too bad. I have tried to make up for yesterday without making myself a terrible guest.

For Breakfast I had coffee and an egg scramble with potato, tomato, thyme, salt and pepper. A little later I had some grapes.

We went out for Lunch, I had a Nicoise Salad. It was comprised of lettuce, tuna, hard boiled eggs, tomatoes, onion, olives, and potatoes. I'm sure there was a dressing and some spices, etc. But it couldn't have been too much because it was exceptionally bland.

Dinner: Ok, I didn't prepare any of this food, but I think the proprietors of Flour + Water are kindred spirits. They make their pasta every day, make their own salumi and butcher their own meat and use the animals in their entirety. I ordered the seared pork chop with pumpkin, vin santo apples & brussel sprout leaves. I'm pretty sure this is the best pork chop I have ever had, and I am a bit of a pork chop connoisseur. It was so juicy, tender, meaty and delicious. I also had bites of my dining companion's orders, which included: roasted butternut squash soup with pancetta, brown butter glazed quince & apple ; pappardelle with braised pork shoulder & rabe
leaves and wood oven roasted brussel sprouts with capers & lemon

I think this is a pretty good day for vacation. I'm trying, really I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment