Saturday, October 3, 2009

Day Two

Let's see, yesterday started with steel cut oatmeal with banana and cinnamon. Lunch was left over pasta with pesto sauce and salad from the night before. I finished off that Organic Ranch Dressing, so one crutch is gone.

I made a loaf of Irish Brown Bread. This is about the easiest thing ever, no yeast, no rising. It took about 10 minutes. I'll post the recipe next. I had a slice of that with butter for a snack.

I did run into a challenge in that I went to a birthday party at the Yam Queen's house. She was serving a slew of Cajun delights. I think I did pretty well in this instance, I had a couple carrots and a small bowl of red beans and rice that she said was made from scratch. I realized on the drive home that the sausage in the red beans would not qualify, but this brings me to my point. I think exceptions need to be made to avoid rudeness in the face of hospitality. This challenge is for me and my cooking and shopping. I didn't buy the food being served there, and I am not trying to sentence myself to a life where I don't eat any food prepared by others, or where I go to people's homes and turn my nose up at food they are serving because it doesn't fit my arbitrary set of rules. I declined a warm cornbread muffin because it was made from a mix, and I didn't have any cheese and crackers, or chips and salsa. I feel it would have been bad manners for me not to eat the red beans and rice, and offending my friends isn't part of this project... oh, I also had a glass of champagne and a glass of rosé, but we've already decided that wine is acceptable.

When I got home I had a small bowl of Granola and milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment